Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 41, 100 Happy Days: Anticrastination

Anticrastination is a word I just started using, although I can't believe I only just discovered it. When I google it all that comes up is the www.urbandictionary definition, which works for me. I'm running with it.

As you might have guessed, anticrastination is the opposite of procrastination. It's finally dealing with crap you've been putting off.
Today, it was a trip to the cell phone store. I've been overpaying for my cell phone for ages, and I finally got down there to deal with it. I know I could have just called but... those people at the call center are robots! (No offense to the humans answering the calls - I know they're instructed to follow those scripts. It's awful.)

So I dragged myself down there and dealt with it, face to face, with a human being. And in 20 minutes (max)  I was done with this thing I've been procrastinating for months. 

The question I have to ask myself is - why do I procrastinate something that really wasn't a big deal at all? The answer: it involves answering questions and making decisions... Am I in fact, overpaying, and if so should I switch to another provider? Should I upgrade to the newest model, or is it time to switch to something else? If so what? I need to do research... should I poll my friends...?
I could go on and on and on with the garbage that goes through my brain preventing me from dealing with stuff.

The upside of procrastination is that when you finally deal with that thing you've been putting off, you feel really good!!

Next things I'll be anticrastinating: Dealing with my internet provider, and getting my car to the mechanic.

By the way, the picture above is from my edition of The Consolidated Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary, A Library of Essential Knowledge. Copyright 1954. Once belonged to Georgia Paddock. (No idea who that is, but her name is written on the inside in perfect cursive.)
I love dictionaries. And I love things with history.

Check out the lovely artwork on the inside cover...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?