Monday, December 8, 2014

Day 8, 100Happy Days: Nothing to Prove

As I was walking along today I saw a young couple get out of a car. The man opened the trunk and pulled out a giant hard shell suitcase. Like, I didn't even know anyone carried these things anymore. 
A well-dressed woman in a little skirt suit got out of the car. She was carrying a big purse and another bag, and she walked up to the young man and asked "Can I get that?"
Say what??
This case probably came up to her waist, and they were about to go up a big flight of stairs. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that she was not strong enough to handle the suitcase. But she was in heels, and already handling two bags. Of course the young man carried it for her.
Now here's where the happy comes in: it made me happy knowing that I've been her before, and I have evolved. I have been the woman who says "No I can handle it". And why? To prove that I have muscles? To prove that I don't need a man? Fugetaboutit. 
Somewhere along the line, I realized that strength comes in many forms, physical being only one of them. And I also realized that even the scrawniest of men were physically stronger than me. Which, makes carrying stuff easier for them. I say if a guy wants to carry something for you, let him. I've got nothing to prove (not in that warm anyway, not anymore). I know I'm strong enough to handle a lot of stuff, and smart enough to let someone else handle it.

Bonus happiness for today? Finding this particular bag of deliciousness:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?