Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day 16, 100 Happy Days: Being Present Through Painting

"Sunrise at Libby's" (In progress)
One of the things that I love about painting is that it can bring me directly to the present moment. All attention is on the painting in front of me, and the rest of the world melts away. I find the rhythm of the music, and somehow it feels that it's synced up with the paintbrush.

I've found my groove.

However, I can't get to that place when I'm teaching a class, or when other people are around (with the exception of a very few people with whom I've been painting for years). If I'm not painting much, or during times of high stress, it can take me hours to find my groove. I'm happy to say that with my daily practice I'm finding that place nearly immediately.

Bliss.

And actually, I would say that painting is very similar to meditation. It's like an active meditation. If you're stressed or out of practice, it can take a while to quiet your mind. But with daily practice you can get there quickly.

Again, bliss.

Tonight's music was courtesy of Eric Dolphy and Herbie Hancock. Very nice indeed. Here's Herbie...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?