Wednesday, November 13, 2013

More Treasures From Another (Even Older) Time

I just found my grandfather's railroad passes from 1943 and 1944. They were in a billfold type thing that has his photograph attached, and the railroad rules printed on the inside. The rules read like a contract (I had to take out a magnifying glass to read them), and he had to sign on the dotted line.
Serious stuff.

Folded up behind the passes was a train schedule. I thought the ads were more interesting than the schedule on the other side, so that's what I scanned.

This schedule was good for January 1944, for New York to Mt. Kisco, Bedford Hills and Katonah.
 
It's nice that you can still get a room and a bath for $2.50. (What... No HBO?)

The "New York's Suburbs" ad reminds me of Back to the Future for some reason.

Interesting that only one ad even mentions telephone numbers.

Yes, this was a very long time ago. Another world, really. My grandfather was born in 1896. He was 47 when my mother was born - which incidentally is the age that I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?