Thursday, April 10, 2014

Happiness Project Day 63: Shifting my Perspective

If you've ever worked with me, you might remember that I rarely take breaks. I may show up for work late, but I'll work through breaks and lunch, and stay until the job is done. Why? Because I'm insane.

Seriously, I don't know why. I guess I figure I need to strike while the iron's hot, while I have the energy, the focus, and the motivation.

I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone why this is a really bad way to operate.

Now I work for myself, and although still not great at taking breaks; I am trying. Today I got so overwhelmed sorting through last year's finances in preparation for taxes (yes, I'm one of those last minute tax people), that I just wanted to go to bed. And I almost did. But a little voice in my head said just get outside.

Far be it from me to argue with a voice in my head, so outside I went. Do you know it's a whole other world out there? Flowers were blooming, birds were singing, and nobody was concerned about spreadsheets.

My perspective shifted, and I went back to work refreshed and happy in the knowledge that I did something good for myself.

I just may be a break-taker after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?