Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, Picasso!

I just found out that today is Pablo Picasso's birthday. Picasso is one of my favorite artists...or perhaps I should say one of my favorite world-famous artists.

It wasn't always that way. Growing up I didn't really appreciate his work (despite the fact that we had a Picasso print in the bathroom - which is of course is a great place to contemplate a woman with a "crazy mixed-up" face). Although it seems to me that so much of pop culture was influenced by him when I was young. I remember my childhood cartoons being very Piccasso-esque, and even some playground equipment. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, I'm a fan now. It happened when I saw his work for the first time in person. I visited the Chicago Institute of Art several years ago, and was surprised that my favorite paintings in the whole museum were all Picassos. Particularly The Red Armchair and The Old Guitarist, which was simply stunning in person.

Above is my take on Picasso's "The Dream". I gained even more appreciation for the artist while attempting to copy one of his paintings. It was hard to do, a lot of fun, and quite an accomplishment, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?