Monday, May 3, 2010

I should introduce you to my friend the artist...

Often when people find out I'm an artist they say "I should introduce you to so-and-so; she's an artist too!" Why is it that people want to introduce their artist friends to more artists? Can you imagine meeting an accountant and saying "Oh I should introduce you to Fred; he's an accountant too"?
Recently someone was looking at my work and said "I should introduce you to my friend..." I smiled and asked "Why; is she an art collector?" Predictably  he said "No, she's an artist."
I know he meant well.

While it is very important for artists to have friends that are also artists, it is most helpful for us to know some art collectors too. I'm always happy to make a new friend who creates art, but I don't need one. I've got plenty, thank you. What I need is to be introduced to some art collectors, art lovers, art buyers. Anyone can be an art buyer. You don't need to know anything about art to buy it, you just have to know what you like to look at. (You know the old adage I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like? Yeah, it's like that.) Nor do you need to spend a small fortune on a painting. By the time you buy, mat and frame a print - and often one that 8 gazillion people all over the world have in their dining rooms - you could have purchased an original painting for your home or office. There is plenty of art out there that most people can afford (in the $50 to $500 range). My advice; if you see a piece of art that you love and can afford - buy it. It's as simple as that. If it moves you in some way - buy it. Take it home, put it in a special place and take pride in the fact that you are the only person in the world to own that particular piece of original art. Your purchase may make a big difference to the artist, and the artwork will make a big difference to your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?