Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Schlepping artwork is just part of the job

thefreedictionary.com defines schlep as:
v.tr.
To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug: schlepped a shopping bag around town.
v.intr.
To move slowly or laboriously: schlepped around with the twins in a stroller.


Yeah that about describes the joy I feel at lugging my artwork around town. Don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled to be showing my work anywhere. It's just a laborious process. The word schlep may imply carelessly tossing and dragging things along. But really it's just the opposite - I take great care in the transport of my paintings. The are my babies - my creations, and I love them dearly. The 'schlep' comes from all the trips back and forth, up and down stairs, carrying them so they don't scratch up against each other or bump into anything. It's my least favorite part of being an artist. Well... that and the the pay!
And once I schlelp it to wherever I'm showing it and hang the show (which can be an art in itself)...well let's just say I'd much rather sell it than schlep it back home! I suppose I should be happy I'm not a potter or a glass blower...
Anyway, I take down another show this week. Anyone care to save me some schlepping?
My show will be up through Friday April 30th at Swallow Hill Music: 71 E Yale Ave in Denver www.swallowhillmusic.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?